Extreme Government Makeover
The house of government is broken, and it needs a serious makeover from top to bottom. In his latest book, management expert Ken Miller discusses how the processes of government became so complicated and inefficient – and how to start cleaning up the mess. With his typical irreverent and funny tone, Ken lays out the simple ways that public-sector leaders can tear down all the twisted, broken parts of government and rebuild it stronger, leaner and better equipped to help citizens. Full of clear, concise tips on increasing government’s capacity, Extreme Government Makeover is essential reading for everyone in government, from top-level executives to managers and employees on the front lines.
What you’ll learn in Extreme Government Makeover
- The one and only thing government needs to focus on to get out of this crisis
- How government can perform its vital functions 80 percent faster, at less cost and with better quality
- The DNA of government complexity and how we can genetically modify it
- How to spot the “moldy” thinking that is making us all sick
- How to get rid of 40 percent of your agency’s workload
- How to find the hidden costs of government
- What the next generation of customers and employees are going to do to your operations
- Why technology isn’t the answer
- Most importantly, you’ll learn a new way of seeing the work of government – and a better way to make that work great
Order Extreme Government Makeover today!
We Don’t Make Widgets: Overcoming the Myths that Keep Government From Radically Improving
Written for management at every level of government, We Don’t Make Widgets: Overcoming the Myths That Keep Government from Radically Improving explodes the myths that prevent dramatic improvement in government operations.
If you’re interested in a new way of thinking about whatyou do, who you do it for and why you do it, this book — part of the Governing Management Series — is for you. Read it and manage with the best!
Praise for We Don’t Make Widgets:
“Not since the publication of Measuring Up: Governing’s Guide to Performance Measurement for Geniuses (and Other Public Managers) by Jonathan Walters have I had such a laugh-out-loud read of a book on performance measurement. But be warned: Don’t buy this book if you expect to have all of your management and leadership skills validated. Don’t buy it if you want a book that will make you comfortable. But if you want a book that will stimulate your thinking about performance measurement, that has the potential to change how you lead your work team or organization and provides concrete steps for doing so, then this is the book for you.” - Michael Lawson, Director, ICMA Center for Performance Measurement
“Ken doesn’t just write about radically improving government operations, he has done it! Using the tools he sets forth in this book, Ken helped transform programs as diverse as license bureau services, income tax processing systems and child-abuse hotline operations to provide just what citizens expected: shorter waiting times, quicker income tax refunds and more efficient and accurate handling of hot line calls. In the process, he built teams of dedicated state employees who know that they hold the key to the continued improvement of government services.” -Michael Hartmann, Chief of Staff to Missouri Governors Mel Carnahan, Roger B. Wilson, and Bob Holden
Order We Don’t Make Widgets today!
The Change Agent’s Guide To Radical Improvement
The Change Agent’s Guide contains 36 unique tools you can use with your workgroups or teams to turn the radical message of We Don’t Make Widgets into radical improvements.
The Change Agent’s Guide to Radical Improvement is Ken Miller’s comprehensive how-to book, packed with all of the information and tools necessary to make any improvement project a rousing success. Its unique methods integrate the best practices in organizational development, team building, voice of the customer, reengineering, problem solving, creativity, innovation, and project management.
- Sponsor’s interview – how to uncover what senior management really wants
- Focus group tool – a step by step method to uncover what your customers truly want (not just what
- they’ve been conditioned to expect)
- Voice of the Customer tool – a powerful exercise that turns customer desires into measurable goals you can use for innovation and evaluation
- Process Analysis checklist – you don’t need a colored belt to find the opportunities in your process. This checklist identifies the hot spots for you and helps you make your process 80% faster
- The 5 Why’s of Innovation tool – this tool pushes you way outside the box and helps you see the future
- Plus over 30 more tools that change minds and transform operations.
Order the Change Agent’s Guide today!
Other Great Reads
The Case for Process Management, American Public Human Services Association
Process Management–They Speak for Themselves, American Public Human Services Association